Friday, February 17, 2017

Wanting to remain


I must admit I miss the creative energy and drive of the distillation process. The past 17 days have been lacking the recent passion and unfortunately, have been fraught with anxiety. It's all hands on deck while we complete the visa process (yet again) so that I may remain in Scotland with Stewart and our cat Theo. It is incredibly stressful but we are making good progress on the time sensitive application. I can't wait for it to be over and to (hopefully) be granted that coveted permission slip from the U.K. government so that I can live another 2.5 years in my newly adopted homeland.

I have decided (mostly) not to freak out about this process, the expense and the rigor of the application as well as the required supporting documents, but it is always with me. If anything, this process has given me, even more, empathy for all the immigrants in the world going through the various processes to remain with their families, friends, loved ones, and pets in their newly adopted lands. We just want to be free to pursue our hearts, curiosity, opportunity, safety and our lives as we choose. It's so simple yet it is made so complex. I also know my educated, white, privilege makes this difficult immigration process so much easier for me. I will never forget this and I vow my continued solidarity with immigrants around the world.



So that's what's been going on if I haven't been publishing as much social media/art content as usual.

In other, more exciting news, part of the distillation process has begun to be documented for a series of limited edition prints (three of these images can be seen here in this blog).

It was so good to see the work in a new light after some time away from it. It's a bit tricky to document them with all the ripples and ridges in the paper but I think we will be able to work it out and make something beautiful. I will keep you posted as we progress. Until next week, please keep fighting. It's working.


2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your application Megan . I can imagine how stressful this must be and agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the situation for other migrants. Love the new work. Clare (Mc Cann)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Clare! I appreciate your support and good luck wishes. Glad you are enjoying this work! Hope you are well. :)

      Delete