Friday, September 3, 2010

Ready to start...

© Thomas Petillo

I just want to remember some of the things that inspired me this week. Things that sent shivers down my spine, things that made me feel like anything was possible. I want to remember the little connections and the epic ones.

This week, I had the pleasure of hosting visiting artist and friend Thomas Petillo. He arrived on Tuesday and left this morning. He brought his beautiful photographs with him, and presented Fayetteville with his stunning exhibition, North, West, East, South in the Hive Gallery at the Fayetteville Underground. It was so lovely to have him around the Underground and introduce him to my studio mates, and show him around town. Having him here really helped me appreciate my town and what is happening at the underground even more. It is always nice to see your world through a different set of eyes. It was a joy to be able to introduce such a beautiful soul and talent to the folks of Fayetteville. If you are local or regional don't miss Thomas Petillo's exhibition, his work will be up through October 2nd. The Fayetteville Underground's galleries are open W-F 12-7 and Saturday 10-5.

Also to learn more about some of what I do at the Fayetteville Underground, please check out this recent interview. I was thrilled to be asked to participate in Christopher Spencer's Five Questions segment for Ozarks Unbound.

First Thursday was last night, and it was another wonderful event. I didn't spend the usual amount of time in my studio, as I wanted to be in the Hive gallery with Thomas for his show. At the end of the night I went back to my studio and found this note on my desk. I had a moment to myself, so I picked it up and read it. I must say this note moved me so deeply. It meant a lot to me that this high school art student would take the time to write. As I read, tears welled up in my eyes. This is something I will treasure always. I hope he doesn't mind that I documented this note and am sharing it. I also hope to meet this young artist one day, and even more that that, I hope to see his work on a gallery wall in the near future.


In other news, I am still so pleased that Delay before Abandon, the collaborative paper painting that Steven Heaton and I have been working on is going to be in the Chaosmos 2010 exhibition as part of the Liverpool Independents Biennial, which opens this month. Last month, I mentioned that besides our collaborative piece, Steven Heaton would have other works in the exhibition. Well, I just want to show you a couple of those pieces because I am also so inspired by them. I could get lost in all the layers of paint and decay, the hints of color and sparks of orange and rust all encapsulated in resin. I like everything about these rich and layered works. How I wish I could see them in person.

What still remains
© Steven Heaton

A world without us
© Steven Heaton

And lastly, this song and video sends shivers down my spine, and will serve as an anthem for the upcoming Fall. I look forward to returning to my studio on Monday to paint to this song on repeat. The world is full of magic, beautiful people and beautiful art. I am grateful for it and for you...



Are you ready to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment