Saturday, September 18, 2010

In a homemade boat...


The Pixies
Uptown Theatre, Kansas City
September 17 2010


The printing press is now fully operational. Perhaps even I am almost fully operational. I am running on fumes of the best kind, I am just back from The Pixies show in Kansas City.

Everyone who knows me or who reads my blog, knows how important music is for my art and life. It is the fuel for my fire, and it is my inspiration. Seeing live music is such a transcendent experience and it usually stays with me a while. I know this show is going to stay with me, and the crazy thing is, I almost didn't go...

There are many reasons I almost missed this show. I had been busy in the weeks/months leading up, finding myself exhausted and with an aching neck. I also reminded myself that I don't particularly like being packed like a sardine into a hotbox. So these issues/excuses were all telling me it would be so much easier to just stay at home and relax.

But, at the last minute I changed my mind and just went for it. I knew I would regret it if I didn't go and I reminded myself how powerful live music is, especially legendary music from a band like The Pixies, and I am so glad I went.

Everything from the venue, the visuals behind the band, the banter, the set list, and of course the delivery by the Pixies was spot on, I couldn't have asked for a better show to attend. This experience makes me feel alive, inspired, and hopeful for my future work.

This blog is supposed to be about visual art, and I am supposed to share my art with you regularly. As you may have noticed I haven't shared any new work with you in almost a month, because there hasn't been any to share. While this makes me frustrated and anxious, I now know why I haven't been working. The well was simply dry. I had nothing to draw from and I needed to fill it back up. This is not a failure on my part, this is just a fact. In order to produce, you have to put information in. This concert was the first step in refilling the well. There are also some books I want to read, some stories I want to write, some films I want to see, some friends and family I want to call, some walks I want to take, and some people in my life I want to say no to and some people I need to ask for help from. Hopefully there will also be more live music in the mix as well. These are all parts of the refilling process, these are all things that have been running dry in my life of late.

Currently the water is two feet high and rising....soon to be five.
The paintings will again pour out.


How high is the water where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment