Friday, September 19, 2008

Stories we tell and the games we play






















Oh the games we play, with ourselves, each other and with our art. Some of these games can be beneficial and help us to move forward, while others seem to keep us stuck in place.

How many times have you had a new idea for your art and become excited only to then systematically dismantle it, coming up with a laundry list of reasons why your idea couldn't or shouldn't work? All the sudden, your idea is not worth your time or energy or isn't suited to your audience. All the doubts start coming to the forefront of your mind, and you decide to leave well enough alone. Maybe you want to explore a new medium or style but decide it is too risky. Maybe you were thinking of selling your work online, but you then convince yourself that it isn't the proper venue, or you worry about what the galleries will think. How many stories do you make up in your head that you are starting to believe? How many times do you shoot yourself and your work down so you can safely stay with the pack? We all know the story that misery loves company and that it is lonely at the top, so we decide to stay put.

These are just some questions to be aware of. What is one story you are telling yourself about your work that you could examine or challenge?

There are the games we play, that work. The games that challenge, motivate and cajole you into action. Currently I am playing a 28 day game of "one stroke." I wanted to get back into a consistent routine and schedule after not having one during the summer months. For the next 28 days, I will put down at least one stroke of paint either on a paper or canvas painting. That is all I have to do to be a success. My usual motto is "everyday I paint is a victory." For the next 28 days, all I have to do is put down one stroke to be victorious. I know it doesn't sound like much. What can one stroke of paint do? Only one stroke relieves the time pressure of any marathon painting session, it tells me that no finished work needs to emerge. The process and routine is of equal importance to the finished painting. One stroke seems easily manageable, and after one stroke is down, usually another follows and then time starts to pass and paintings are now being created and I have set myself up for this relaxed victory.

What stories can you confirm or deny so that you can rise above? What games can you play to make yourself victorious?

It's your move...

Pictured Above:
The Games We Play,
20x16"
Mixed Media on Canvas
Megan Chapman
2008 Copyright
Patron's private collection


PS. There are new affordable paper paintings over at my Esty shop: Art Maven. Enjoy!



10 comments:

  1. Once again, Megan, your post has provoked some deep thinking.

    While reading the second paragraph I found myself answering "too many!" to most of the questions.
    I have also made a resolution to not get into that way of thinking again. I'm not quite at one stroke per day but for the past 3 weeks I have painted or worked on my surfboard creations almost every weekday evening. Sometimes only 5 or 10 minutes but always really rewarding.

    These words in particular are so true:
    "what can one stroke of paint do? Only one stroke relieves the time pressure of any marathon painting session, it tells me that no finished work needs to emerge. The process and routine is of equal importance to the finished painting. One stroke seems easily manageable, and after one stroke is down, usually another follow"

    Thanks again Megan.

    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan

    Great post once again...

    The game I play is saying to myself "the more I can do today will make the Katherine of tomorrow happy".

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi megan great blog entry

    i have been thinking alot lately about

    the 28 days game sounds like a game i need to play

    i have been seeing a jump in your work

    digging i dont want to set the world on fire

    and somethings flying away in factory town

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I spend the majority of my time working a 8-5 job that leaves little opportunity for creating art, I have figured out a few ways to sneak in some creativity. Similar to your One Stroke.

    For example, I always carry a journal, (I like the moleskines) and for one week I drew a sketch each day of what I was wearing. I've also drawn daily 'food logs' where instead of listing with words what I eat in a day, I illustrate the foods with little drawings. These exercises don't require a lot of thought, and the purpose is really the same as your One Stroke.

    The easel is still set up in the living room, and I've made some progress - working on a third canvas now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 28 days of one stroke. Brilliant. Will you cheat - if you do 12 strokes one day does it count towards the next?

    I know I would somehow be able to talk myself into that logic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this post...i get it. it's so easy to let the dailiness of life weigh us down or the enormity of global issues diminish our efforts as artists...but playing and creating and opening up is what we all need to do just a little more of every day....make one stroke (at least).
    beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm liking the etsy shop very much. :) And the "one stroke" approach is what I use for my physics class, and it's kept me from going insane so far, so it appears to work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good good.
    for 28 days.
    brilliant.
    super super. ;)

    the games we play.

    your etsy shop is looking wonderful and rich and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic post Megan!
    The 28 days plan is brilliant.
    It helps us to remember the real reason of why we paint - its really about the creation and NOT about what other people want, expect or demand.
    You go girl!
    Debs x

    ReplyDelete