Friday, September 1, 2017

The risk that brought me here

Pettiwick Bay, St. Abbs.




Adventures are good for the soul. For the past two weeks, our friend James has taken us in his car (we don't have one and I haven't gotten my UK license yet) to places I have never seen. Last week we went to the lovely village of Culross in Fife. This week, we walked high on cliffs above the North Sea at St. Abbs. 

I sat above the sea on the mossy ground and breathed in the air and listened to the wavelets on the shore below. I imagined all the people before me who had seen the view and all the people who would see it in the future. This place isn't going anywhere, but I am just passing through. I thought about the power of the land to soothe, inspire and intrigue.

After our Scottish seaside adventure, we crossed the border to England and wandered the town of Berwick upon Tweed. We walked around looking at their ramparts, bridges, and buildings. And then just like that (thanks to James' driving), we were home for dinner. 

I never thought I would see any of this. I certainly never thought I would live here and be able to walk these cliffs or get to know this land. It's a risk that brought me here and risks can feel scary and unsure. Just like making art. 

This week I have been working on a possible commission and I am a little out of my comfort zone but at the same time excited and challenged. Here's my Tuesday Studio Visit Video with more on that. 


I don't have any photos of the possible commission that I can share, as it is a possible gift. That is if I can materialize it to my satistfaction. It's all good and secretive on my end and may not even happen, but it's giving me plenty to think about and work on, and that is a gift to me. 

It's the first of September, there is rain on the cobbles and a coolness to the air. I think I am going to grab another cup of tea and head to the studio for another adventure in risk. 

Take care out there. Until next week, keep fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment