Friday, June 10, 2016

Looking for the light

detail from the new series
I finished the commission as planned and posted it to the States this past Monday. I was delighted with how well it turned out and almost hated to see it go. 

Sometimes working with prompts from a patron can be nerve wracking but sometimes if the prompts are interesting and just loose enough, it can really inspire. Luckily that is what happened with this piece.

Because of this, I knew I wanted to expand on what I started and create a series of new small works loosely based on one of the techniques I used in the commission. It was exciting to keep experimenting and to maintain an attitude of play this week in the studio.

Happily, this exploratory and playful attitude spilled over into all areas of my life. This is Scotland and the sun is never to be taken for granted. This week, there were sunny hours spent at the Leith Jazz Festival, The Royal Botanic Gardens and Lauriston Castle. There were also bike rides to Granton Harbour and anywhere else beautiful and calm the cycle paths would take me.

Nature is a refuge just as are newly discovered pubs and beer gardens and it is important for me and my art to live well and discover it all. Everything inspires everything else. I am trying to embrace the joy in this life without doubt, judgment and second guesses. So much of what we have been taught about artists is dark, brooding and very painful and while I can relate, it doesn't keep me from looking for the light and celebrating each moment of beauty that I see.

Until next week, you know what to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment