Friday, March 2, 2012

From across the ocean...

From Across the Ocean (a stairwell preview)

Hello Dear Readers,

As you know my blog serves as my travel journal currently as I am in Edinburgh, Scotland. I haven't done a very good job of keeping up with everything I have been up to lately. I feel the need to do a quick catch up for my own records and then I need to turn to my own personal art world for a minute, as some very exciting things are happening.

Let's start with the tourist stuff.

There was of course more art. At this point I am revisiting some of the galleries I first visited as the shows rotate each month as you would expect. We returned to the Open Eye gallery to catch a new exhibition by Barry McGlashan called Quiet Please. Barry seems to be a surrealist painter and places people into surreal surroundings and landscapes. I am usually a fan of surrealism. I was more keen on some of the backgrounds for his characters in his pieces than the whole piece combined. Also at the Open Eye, I spied some more work by Paul Charlton, an artist I had mentioned in an earlier post that had some work accepted in the Royal Scottish Academy gallery in the 2012 Visual Arts Scotland Annual Open Exhibition of visual and applied arts. It is a good feeling to recognise his work and to start to get a feeling for the Edinburgh art scene.

That same day we also returned to The Scottish Gallery for a repeat viewing of the brilliant William Johnstone exhibition, with Stewart buying the impressive catalogue. After that there was another stop in at the cosy Greyfriars Art shop where we bought much needed art supplies. It is such a delight to buy from a small retailer in person.

There was also a return visit to The National Portrait Gallery, with Stewart and his Mother. I think I enjoyed it more the second time. The same paintings gripped me and it felt good to see them again. I guess am finding comfort in the familiarity of things since I have been here for a while.

I think that catches us up with the art. I visited a nice pub and met up with some of my blip friends in mid February. It was great to all be out together, laughing and having a good time.

During that same weekend we made our second pilgrimage to the North Sea and it's beaches, this time with Stewart's dear friend Craig. We went to Gullane beach and walked to the sunken submarines on Aberlady. Then we walked over to the fields of tank traps and back to Gullane. We were out walking for about 4 hours. Then it was time to get some proper chips with salt and sauce in North Berwick. We walked the streets as we ate the tangy salty chips. This will be a good memory for me to take back home. Eating huge salty and sauced chips in the sun watching the waves crash with Stewart and Craig.

Another good and simple memory from Edinburgh will be going to get a picnic lunch and walking to Princes Street Gardens to enjoy it on a sunny day. That was lovely. On that same day I visited another pub, this time very close to home. The pub had a nice atmosphere on an empty afternoon after the sun picnic and wander around the city and its shops.

I also visited the Filmhouse cinema where we were fortunate enough to see the acclaimed film The Artist. The film played to a packed house and did everything a good film should. The filmhouse is a lovely place that serves great food as well. A curry was had afterwards.

One day recently I decided I was ready to tackle Arthur's seat. It was a sunny brisk morning as Stewart and I trekked up what seems a daunting hill. I was unsure if I could make it because it looks so big but I got up to the top to see the beautiful views. We also stopped over at St. Anthony's chapel ruins as well. Afterwards, we roamed around the new Parliament building and I saw the palace where The Queen stays when she is around as well.

There were lots of little shops popped in and out of, lots of walking, and some local foods sampled. You know, just the typical things you do when you are visiting somewhere new. There was also a visit to an extraordinary cemetery, Greyfriars kirkyard. The very old graves were like macabre works of art; dancing skeletons and skulls and crossbones abound. There was another pub visited, this time with Stewart's Dad. A nice old place that grew on me after a while, packed and loud on a Thursday afternoon. There was something kind of comforting about a pub filled with older men. I think that about has us caught up on all the tourist things since I last wrote about that sort of thing.

In the art world of things.

I created ten more new small works on paper here in Stewart's kitchen/my temporary studio. Just an example of where there is a will there is a way. Yes, I miss my studio, but I have to make art and I have to make it work. I was so happy that I created these new small works for my exhibition, "From Across the Ocean" that opens on March 6th (that happens to be my 40th birthday). My exhibition will contain twelve small works on paper and four pieces from my recent "sometimes I love you and other stories" series. The show will be up March 6th through the end of the month at  Embo located at 29 Haddington Place, Leith Walk, in Edinburgh. The opening reception will be Friday March 9th from 6-8pm. I am very excited about this exhibition. I just framed all the small works on paper and I am so pleased with how they turned out. Having a solo exhibition in a different country, opening on my 40th birthday just seems too good to be true. I am grateful for all the opportunities I have been given and I am proud of all the hard work I have done in the past to get me to this point.

In other art news closer to home, Stewart and I have an exhibition currently on display in Bentonville, Arkansas. You can see the pieces that are in the exhibition here. I hope the NWA locals will go and check it out. We are very proud to be showing our works together in our first official combined exhibition.

Megan Chapman & Stewart Bremner
I thought I would find you here
March 1st – April 30th, Peterson Auditorium
Shewmaker Global Business Development Center
NorthWest Arkansas Community College. Bentonville.

For more information about our exhibition please contact Eric Smith 479.619.4263 or email ESMITH@nwacc.edu

And that my friends has us all caught up! I am grateful for the support I have in my life, my friends and family near and far, my patrons and collectors. I am so happy to be able to share this adventure with you all. Thanks for your continued support and encouragement in my work and life.

Until next week, keep fighting...

No comments:

Post a Comment