Friday, March 19, 2010

A new manifesto

A reminder © 2010 Megan Chapman

This week in the studio consisted of starting one new painting ( it has a long way to go, or I would show you) and completing the third installment of my collaborative effort with English artist Steven Heaton. I also managed to mail out some art as well, which for some strange reason is always the hardest part.

I wish I could say I was on fire in the studio, but this week consisted of a lot of business emails, tax preparation, inventory, promotions, meetings, and mixers with potential clients. It was productive, but not in the creative way that an artist dreams of. However, necessary just the same.

I've come to some conclusions this week. I need to change some things in my life so that I can pursue my art while maintaining my health and peace of mind. I don't really want or need to get into them here, but lets just say things are out of balance. Making art can be just like any other career, and you can push yourself too hard at times and lose sight of the other elements of your life. I am struggling with this currently, and need to stop just escaping into my art world. I have always had issues with balance, but it is really catching up with me. To remedy this, I hope to spend some time out of doors in the sun (if the weather cooperates) out of my studio, away from my cell phone and over long lists, and away from the computer too. It is time to refocus my energy.

As a dear friend put it, I need to switch off and become a cloud watcher for awhile. So that is what I plan to do.

Music for watching clouds:



see you next week, with either stories of clouds or more art...

3 comments:

  1. We all need a break sometimes, even when we aren't prepared to admit it. Your 'out of balance' reference had made me want to go watch Koyaanisqatsi for the zillionth time and try to empty my mind. Good luck finding your peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear!!
    Thinking of your!!

    ReplyDelete